Friday, June 10, 2011

IF I FELL

The dog barks at car tires hissing on the rainy streets.  The cats mostly sleep, waking occasionally to acknowledge my presence.  I've got some Warren Zevon playing, milk and donuts ready to be consumed, and a weekend on the way.  Everything is exactly as it should be, except for one thing.

Janie's  not here.

No, no, it's okay.  She's just visiting her sister for the week.  We've talked everyday since she's been gone, and she can't wait to get back.  To her recliner, her bed, her cats.  And me, presumably.

I can't wait for her to get back, either.  She belongs here.  Her voice, her laughter, her everything.  When I bought this place, I thought...well, honestly, I'm not sure what I thought.  I wanted a place of my own, someplace to call home.  But it turned out to be just another place to live, no different from the anonymous apartments that had come to define my existence.

But now, when I walk through the front door after a brutal day at work and Janie is here, and we kiss and we laugh and we love, I finally feel like I'm coming home.