Wednesday, August 31, 2011

NOT SINCE MICKEY ROONEY TEAMED WITH BUDDY HACKETT HAS SUCH HILARITY BEEN SEEN!

So I had this dream last night, about which I mostly recall nothing, except that I repeatedly found myself in the lobby of a somewhat rundown theater.  For some reason, I would suddenly have to leave, and instead of going out the front door, as any normal person would, I'd head down a narrow hallway with a dim EXIT sign at the end.  Along the way, I'd pass a young woman talking on a pay phone. As I'd get to the door, she'd turn to me with some unintelligible words of advice.  "What?" I'd ask, just as I stepped out the door--right into a puddle.  Or snow bank.  Or passing garbage truck.

Hilarity!  Because the same thing keeps happening, you see, with slight variation, and, uh...

Okay, look, I know it's not that interesting.  I wouldn't even bring it up, except for the fact that I've always maintained that the running gag is one of the lamest bits in the comedy repertoire, and yet here I am dreaming of one.  But the point is, it's not funny in the least.  So that's, you know...something?

Sigh.

Fine.  Here's some actual entertainment: Marshall Crenshaw performing one of the songs I know I want played at my funeral.