Tuesday, December 02, 2008

SON OF THE RETURN OF MIGHTY JOE KONG

1) The title of this post is a paraphrase of a spoof from an old Mad magazine. It's meant to indicate a recycling of familiar themes. Another Random Thoughts piece, in other words.

2) Hey folks, we're officially in a recession! And have been for a full year now! This according to the a consortium of eggheads and double-domes known as the National Bureau Of Economic Research, and breathlessly reported by the press.

This is the same press, mind you, that all through the election process tended to explain Obama's huge poll numbers as partly a result of "fears of a recession," as though we weren't yet in the midst of one. In other words, Big Media was afraid to state the obvious until somebody else came forward and said it for them.

Shouldn't reporters and editors have taken the lead on this one? Shouldn't they have boldly stated what politicians were afraid to admit? Shouldn't they do more than passively report what others say? Shouldn't they, in other words, tell the truth?

3) Batshit insane New York Times columnist David Brooks thinks Obama's foreign policy team needs to build on Bush's legacy. This is the same guy who, just a few months ago, said the economy was doing fine.

I'd like to point out that he gets paid outrageous sums of money for turning out such ridiculous claptrap. And people read him and take him seriously. Which, come to think of it, may explain why the ink-stained wretches of the press couldn't quite believe we were in a recession: David Brooks said we weren't!

4) I just had a dream in which Mr. T was living with me and my family on the farm (Mom, Dad, my brothers and sisters were looked they did in the late seventies, but I seemed to be my adult self), and he was mad at me for...well, I never quite understood why, but the point is, Mr. T wanted to kill me. So I holed up in my room with a couple of my cats, including little baby Monika, who clearly was the most adorable kitten in the history of adorable things.

This dream was chillingly unresolved, so for all I know, Mr. T still wants to kill me.

5) Steve Guttenberg claims he, Ted Danson and Tom Selleck are all aboard for another Three Mean And A Baby sequel. He also is shopping around the idea for a new Police Academy movie. These are both terrible ideas, sure, but at least they're reminders of an earlier, happier time, when bad movies were merely bad, not soul-drainingly, punishingly awful.