Saturday, January 02, 2010

UNTIL THE DARKNESS SHEDS ITS VEIL

There's absolutely no reason why this song from the 1948 Disney feature Melody Time has been floating through my head for the last few days, but it seems to have moved in with no intention of leaving, so I thought I'd share it with you. Though I likely had heard the song previously, I first became consciously aware of it via Syd Straw's lovely cover version from the compilation album Stay Awake, which came out in 1988, a fact that makes me feel really, really old.

But this is the original version, featuring the awesome harmonies of The Sons Of The Pioneers, and showcasing some truly gorgeous work by Disney's Effects Animation department, under the leadership of the great Joshua Meador. The lonesome, slightly melancholy tone to the song and the visuals nicely convey my emotional landscape as we come to the end of a decade which was marked by profound personal loss and a sense of resignation. And wow...I really only meant to showcase this song, and started to go off and get depressing. Sorry, folks. Just enjoy.