Sunday, January 17, 2010

SHE GIVES ME WATER LIKE I AIN'T NEVER HAD

Haven't had any updates around here lately because...well, in no small part because I feel words are useless to even attempt to grapple with the situation in Haiti, but at the same time, anything else I might write about seems trivial compared to that apocalyptic reality.

And yet, to come right out and say such a thing seems so smarmy, so--what's the word?--privileged. After all, I'm a white guy in the United States. Sure, there are times when my paycheck barely covers my bills, but I can't even begin to imagine the dire existence so many Haitians led even before their world was literally torn to pieces. I can't imagine it at all.

Very few people in this country could, which probably explains the flood of donations. Not to sound cynical, but do George Clooney and Sandra Bullock really care about the people of Haiti, or are they sending money out of a sense of guilt, or as an attempt to restore some sort of karmic balance, or just because they're glad it's not them? The last one seems most likely, and it's a perfectly understandable reaction. Death on this scale is a reminder to all of us of our mortality.

But I said I didn't feel like writing about all that, so let's avert our eyes and desperately pretend we don't know what's going on in the wider world. Let's turn on some music and relax. Well, "relax" may be the wrong word. St Vincent needs some H-E-L-P, after all, as she explains in Marrow.



This space frequently threatens to turn into a Roger Miller fan site, so here he is again, but don't expect him to keep loving you when he's found someone better. Or different, at least. What can you expect? His soul is restless and the moon is bright.



And because why the hell not? The terrifyingly bronzed Joey Heatherton wants you to get a good night's sleep.