Monday, January 14, 2008

GILBERT GIDDYUP, WE HARDLY KNEW YE

Carl Karcher, the founder of the Carl's Jr. restaurant chain, has died at the age of 90.

Knowing that in the late nineties, Carl's Jr. merged with Hardee's, and because I have some surprisingly fond memories of eating at Hardee's, I found myself reading the Wikipedia entry for Hardee's, wherein I learned Cass Elliot sang the early seventies jingle I can still remember to this day, and that Hardee's bought out the Burger Chef chain, which explains what happened to Burger Chef.

But are these facts reliable? Wikipedia warns us this particular article lacks "in-text citations", so its "sources remain unclear." Gasp! What if it turns out Cass Elliot had nothing to do with that old jingle, and the article merely repeated some long-forgotten urban myth?

As I'm wondering that, I realize it's 3 AM and I'm reading a fucking Wikipedia article on Hardee's, and I weep for my soul.