Friday, January 18, 2008

ON AND ON

1) The big news around here is: I have cable!

Okay, really, I don't care that much. The only reason I bothered is because the local cable company could give me a better deal on my phone and interweb service...but only if I got cable. The package I have doesn't include Turner Classic Movies, the channel I'd most watch. Mostly, it's your standard TBS, TNT, USA, whatever. So instead of not watching Scrubs in syndication, I can not watch it on cable. Yay.

2) I spend way too much time trying to think of appropriate titles for these posts, which usually involve lyrics from, or titles of, a song tied--however randomly--to the subject at hand. Unless I'm indulging in some heavy-duty irony, it's almost always a song I like, which explains the numerous John Lennon, Marshall Crenshaw and Steely Dan riffs.

However, since there is no one subject here, and since I do tend to ramble a bit, my first thought for a title was that whole "Mean to go on and on and on" bit from We Are The Champions. But seriously...Queen? I toyed with some lines from My Heart Will Go On, but again...Celine Dion? My sense of irony isn't that all-encompassing.

So: On And On. Yes, that Stephen Bishop song from '77. I hear it and I'm immediately twelve again, riding into Perry with my sister to cash in some soda cans, and I know just what I'll do with the money: buy the novelization of Star Wars.

3) According to today's New York Times, Rudy Giuliani has spent his time on the campaign trail advocating some sort of electronic monitoring system for U.S. borders, to stem the tide of illegal immigration or some such. Anyway, turns out a company Giuliani owns was a partner in manufacturing the electronics.

He has, for the sake of appearances, severed his ties with the company. Yet he still advocates the use of the system, and one of the guys who ran the company is one of his biggest campaign contributors...but there's nothing fishy going on here.

I despise Mitt Romney and Mike Huckabee and everything for which they stand, but I'd take them over Giuliani any day. Man, what a scuzzbag.

4) Blogger's spellcheck flags "Giuliani" and "Huckabee" but gives a pass to "Mitt" and "Romney". Weird.

5) I actually did a Google search to see if there were any pointless wire stories on Michael Stipe today. Sadly, no. But I did discover High School Musical heartthrob Zac Efron has signed on to star in Richard Linklater's latest, which is kind of weird. It's apparently about a guy who randomly encounters young Orson Welles, and gets caught up in his world. The only reason I mention this is because Ben Chaplin will play George Coulouris. One wonders who else will be cast as assorted Mercury Players. I'd like to suggest Spike, the cartoon stegosaurus from Land Before Time, as Everett Sloane.

6) Maybe I'd improve the stats for this site if I made more references to Zac Efron and fewer to Everett Sloane.

7) Delmar is a huge cat, prone to fits of psychotic rage, yet for some reason I still think of him as a delicate little hothouse flower, and feel very protective of him. Monika is well into her fourteenth year on this planet, very old for a cat, yet shows no signs of age, and I tend to take her for granted, assuming she'll be around forever.

I have nothing really to add to that, but I haven't mentioned the cats for awhile, and they're sitting on the floor staring at me, and I'm frightened...