Friday, January 05, 2007

RETURN OF THE SON OF MORE OF THE SAME, PART II

Random thoughts:

1) I was reading a mostly unrelated article in The New York Times, which mentioned in passing a list of likely Democratic presidential nominees for '08. They included Barak Obama, Hilary Clinton, Joseph Biden and John Kerry.

Wait, wait...I couldn't have read that right.

Yep, John Kerry.

Okay, Democrats, if Kerry even talks about the presidency, if he even acts as though he's thinking about forming a committee to comission a study to blah blah blah, get rid of him. I don't care how you do it, but get rid of him. In fact, do it now, just to be safe.

2) Here in Des Moines, there's a dispute between our local cable company, Mediacom, and Sinclair Broadcasting, a media mini-empire that owns the local Fox station, KDSM. It's a finacnial thing, naturally, and if they can't come to terms by the end of today, Mediacom will drop KDSM's programming.

In protest, KDSM runs crawls during its shows to remind you to call Mediacom, to let them know you can't live without the swell programming they provide. But when this crawl appears during 5 AM reruns of Becker, you have to think, wouldn't we be better off without this?

3) The last time we got a new episode of Studio 60 On The Sunset Strip was early in December. It's supposed to return sometime this month. I watched it every week, yet I haven't missed it a bit. Not a good sign.

4) The movie Freedom Writers opens today. It's another charismatic-teacher-inspires-a-group-of-troubled-youth movie, and I have to say, it's way past time to retire this genre. I'd rather sit through a wacky comedy of mistaken identity (Antonio Banderas IS...Two Much) or a Hal Needham redneck extravaganza (Burt Reynolds IS Stroker Ace) or, hell, even a rerun of Becker at 5 AM than sit through another one of these. Music Of The Heart made me want to kill myself, and don't even get me started on Dangerous Minds. (Also, don't ask why I've even seen these things.) Nobody wants to see these things. Nobody. Not even teachers.

5) And of course, I have to mention the cats. Delmar has taken to curling up on my lap. That wouldn't be a big deal with most cats, but this is Delmar. Monika has lately started using the sink as a bed. Dampness must be soothing.