Friday, March 02, 2007

MAKIN' POLYVINYL CHLORIDE IN THE FACTORY

The weather remains terrible today, and for the second day in a row, my place of employment is closed. Three days this week I haven't worked, and barely any hours the two days I did.

This isn't good.

I just started this job two weeks ago, and I told them when I applied that I would have to make a minimum amount every week, and they said that should be no problem. What has happened this week was beyond anyone's control, but even so, things are looking grim here. Time to move on.

So I'm sitting here at my computer, with the wuxtra-fast connection Qwest is charging an arm and a leg for, knowing that I have a whole day stretching before me, a whole day when I should be looking for new, more meaningful employment.

The sky is a bleak, uncaring gray, and the bitter wind rattles my windows. I hear tires spinning on ice as people try to navigate their cars out from under the snow drifts. It's cold and depressing, and because I don't have to go to work today, I don't want to think about work.

I want to zone. There are several new Richard Thompson clips posted on YouTube since the last time I checked, and Christine Collister, too. Lots of Lowell George-era Little Feat, and more Zappa than could be watched in one day.

There's some DVDs I should watch, too, a couple of Altmans I need to be reaquainted with, some David Lynch shorts, and hell, anytime's a good time for Raiders Of The Lost Ark.

It's not that I want to blow off the job search; it needs to be done. But the postings will still be there tomorrow, right? I can take this day for myself, a day to be unfocused and out of it, a day to just not give a sweet shit about anything.

Not because I want to, but because, sometimes, I have to.