Friday, June 29, 2007

BUT EVERY NOW AND THEN I FEEL SO INSECURE

It was only a dream, and I know that--me curled up, almost asleep, with beloved Pinback draped across me. Pinback, strange visitor from another world, who took the form of an earthly cat, but who is no longer of this world--that's how I know I'm dreaming.

Then pounding at the door, quiet at first, gradually louder, and I hear Mom's voice, "I'm sorry to wake you up, honey, but I need to ask you something--"

I wake up.

"What?" I wonder at first, "What did you need to ask?"

I give my head a moment to clear. No significance to this dream, I think, as I note Midnight is nestled up beside me, something he hasn't done the whole time I've had him. I don't believe in messages from beyond, or strange portents. My subconscious just took me somewhere. No meaning. The same thing with Midnight--he just chose this moment to hop up into the bed.

The phone rings, loud enough to scramble my heartbeat, one time. Then silence.

Midnight rises, meows at me twice and leaves. I'm drenched in sweat but still pull the covers over me, trembling in the dark.