Saturday, June 23, 2007

CLOGGED ARTERIES

Bob Evans, the founder and namesake of the Bob Evans restaurant chain has died at the age of 89.

The only reason I have any knowledge of or fondness for Evans' crappy joints is because of my initial confusion regarding their name. Never having even heard of the chain until a jaunt through the Quad Cities (if any time spent in the Quad Cities could be referred to as a "jaunt"), I was under the impression that perhaps the place was run under the auspices of Robert Evans, the notoriously slimy producer and former studio head.

I pulled into the parking lot with great enthusiasm, assuming, as with all things involving Robert Evans, there would be high-priced hookers and massive amounts of cocaine. Imagine my disappointment to find only bland sausage, chicken-fried steak and a sub-Country Kitchen ambience.

Okay, not much of an anecdote, but it's five o'clock on a Saturday morning. What do you want?