Tuesday, June 26, 2007

I SHOULD REALLY JUST RELAX

Stuff you could get on DVD starting today would include Warner's Camp Classics series (necessary for Willis O'Brien, Sergio Leone and Howard Hawks completists), Frankenstein Vs. Baragon (weird even by the warped standards of normalcy associated with Japanese monster movies), La Jetee (which you could watch as of last week on YouTube, if you don't mind seing a crappy copy in low res) or a hilarious concert set by the great comedian Louis C.K.

My first choice would be Volume 11 of Rhino's ongoing Mystery Science Theater 3000 boxed sets. I would refer to MST3K as my favorite TV comedy ever, and it may be, but what about The Mary Tyler Moore Show, which I tend to regard as TV's greatest sitcom ever? But if that's true, where does that leave Sgt. Bilko or WKRP? What about Get A Life or The Larry Sanders Show? Are those even sitcoms?

Naming favorites and making "Best Of" lists is all kind of arbitrary, isn't it? I certainly believe 2001 is the greatest film of all time, but is it my favorite? What about Singin' In The Rain or Dumbo or Once Upon A Time In The West or Meet Me In St. Louis--all outstanding, all my favorite movie ever, depending on the day or mood.

And as for music, forget it--I can't even name my favorite Threepenny Opera cast recording or Marshall Crenshaw album, much less choose among Rubber Soul or Revolver or What's Going On or Dusty In Memphis as the greatest thing ever recorded.

Maybe it's best to say whatever I'm watching or listening to or reading is the greatest thing in the world at that time. That way, I'm always doing something worthwhile. Unless I'm watching Xanadu...