Sunday, July 01, 2007

SHE DON'T CARE

In a pissy mood today--various reasons, none I feel like going into. I wanted to say a few words about Brad Bird's magnificent Ratatouille, but don't feel like it right now, and when I don't feel like geeking out about animation, you know something's wrong.

So it's one of those "Enjoy my musical tastes" posts. Here's The Beatles, the best of the best, even though poor George barely gets one close-up while firing off some awesome lead guitar. And John and Paul look so, you know, happy!




Wow, that felt good. How about some more? Here's a killer live performance of Help. Lennon's vocal is magnificent, Paul and George's harmonies kill, Ringo's drumming is peerless...I'll shut up now:



Of course, I'm a Lennon partisan, but here's a Richard Lester-directed clip for one of Paul's loveliest ballads:



And not to leave George out, here he is with Paul Simon, performing one of his best:



There. That's better. I'm feeling okay now. Nothing could bring me down now. Unless it was something at once heart-stoppingly beautiful and ineffably sad. Like, I dunno, a duet between Johnny Cash and Joni Mitchell:



Ah, who am I kidding? I'm down, and I want something down, something torchy. Ella and Joe Pass, what have you got for me?



All right! That's the mood I'm in!