Saturday, July 07, 2007

SOME DAYS IT'S LIKE THIS

Look not for coherent thought patterns or an over-riding sense of purpose this time. Today is just random, free-floating whatever the hell pours out of my brain.

First of all, I got "tagged" (as people who spend way too much time blogging apparaently say) by my ex in her blog. I'm supposed to respond to questions posed regarding a series of creepy monkey pictures posted at her blog. Technically, I think I'm supposed to post the pictures here, but that would involve knowing how to do that, and well...I don't.

So look to my list o' links to the right, then go to Musings Of A Chick. Sue Ellen's (sorry...I meant Sudiegirl's...Five years with her and you'd think I'd realize she wanted to be named like an Earl Hamner character!) current post amusingly details my obsession with the movie Xanadu. After that is the creepy monkey pictures. And to answer the questions posed, well, if the monkey were here, Monika would have killed it by now (quickly and mercifully, like James Coburn in The Magnificent Seven), so that's pretty much that.

And as far as Xanadu, yes, I like bad movies. My brother and I drove through a blizzard to see Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. I've seen Neil Diamond's The Jazz Singer numerous times. I own a copy of The Gong Show Movie, for God's sake. Hey, at least I don't like seventies Hanna-Barbera cartoons.

Speaking of bad movies, here's a little clip of Sally Kellerman singing and dancing her heart out in the godawful 1973 musical Lost Horizon. By singing, I mean growling, and by dancing, I mean...well, take a look:



Ah crap. Let's erase the memory of that with something good, shall we? Here's Jill Scott and George Benson:



And here's a little clip somebody (NOT me) made of Stella Stevens in her underwear:



You know, I could go on and on (and on and on) about Stella Stevens, and I really should, but it might get embarrassing, so I won't.

So let me leave you with Lee Marvin. Sure, Paint Your Wagon is an awful movie, and obviously, he's no singer. But I still think this is touching, dammit, because it sounds like he's actually lived the life described in the song. Plus, it's Lee Marvin!