Friday, August 31, 2007

I'M AWAKE NOW

For those of you wondering why I didn't post anything yesterday--yes, regular readers, I'm talking to both of you--it's simple: I slept.

I felt vaguely crappy all day Wednesday, and I spent pretty much all of Thursday sleeping. I woke up long enough to eat, buy toilet paper and kitty litter (God, my life is exciting!) and...go back to sleep.

So my thoughts are, as Billie Burke once said, a bit muddled.

First, a clarification. Though I mentioned Delmar sitting on my lap as I wrote my last post, I should point out, color scheme aside, he's nothing like the sweet, benevolent and talented kitty in the cartoon I embedded in that post. This is more like Del:



But what of Monika?

Well, it's my opinion that if everybody on the planet spent just ten minutes hanging out with her, the world would be a better place. Even people who hate cats would probably have to admit Monika is rather endearing. Even when she's in pet me-pet me-pet me mode, she can break down all resistance. If smashing her head repeatedly against the small of your back doesn't work, she'll climb on the back of your chair and arch her body over your head, her (upside-down) face slowly filling your field of vision. Adorable!

In fact, if one were to construct a sort of Adorability Scale, Monika would probably be off the charts. First of all, she's a fuzzy gray cat, and is there anything more adorable than a fuzzy gray cat? No, there's not. You could argue that kittens are just naturally more adorable than adult cats--but I swear Monika's face hasn't changed a bit since kittenhood, and yes, she was the most adorable kitten in the world.

(Incidentally, also ranking high on the Adorability Scale: German Shepherd puppies and Lauren Graham's face when she crinkles her nose. Least adorable things? A tie between syphillitic genitalia and the ambience at any TGIFriday's.)

Since this seems to have become cat-centric, have I mentioned that kitty Midnight doesn't live here anymore? It's not fallout from my breakup with Tabbatha (And is breakup too dramatic a word? We just stopped seeing each other. It's not like there were fights or anything. We still talk.), I just asked her, since she finally got a place of her own, if she'd take him back, since I just didn't have room for three cats.

I miss him, though. So as a tribute to Midnight, here's Christopher Lee as a character named... Midnight. It comes from from the ready-made cult item The Return Of Captain Invincible, and even though it features Lee and Alan Arkin, two of my all-time favorite actors, it's mostly no great shakes. Mostly. On the other hand, when Chris Lee is singing a Richard O'Brien song(!) and briefly busts out his famed Yosemite Sam impression...what's not to love?