Sunday, September 02, 2007

IT'S ONLY THE PAIN THAT'S KEEPING YOU SANE

I'll be away from here for two or three days--much needed time away. Lately, life just seems to be a constant stream of bad news, and i find myself second-guessing every thing I do, wondering about every choice I've ever made in life, sinking ever deeper in despair.

So a depressing song to leave with? Hey, here are two, both from my favorite makers of beautiful sorrow, Richard and Linda Thompson. This is an exceptionally fine performance, nicely shot, with lovely and restrained fretwork from Richard (the second guitarist, incidentally, is Simon Nicol) and Linda in exceptional voice. (She often wasn't during this period, as the acrimony that ultimately led to the Thompson's divorce tended to affect her vocally.) The first number here, Pavanne, is pretty good, but the second, Just The Motion, is a truly great song, the emotional and philosophical centerpiece of their finest album, Shoot Out The Lights...That's all for now. I'll be back here Wednesday.