Saturday, September 22, 2007

LAYIN' 'CROSS THE RIVER

I'm in a Brit Rock mode.

It started with that stupid Across The Universe movie. I haven't seen it--and won't!--but just the image from the ads of Bono, complete with Lennon specs, doing "I Am The Walrus"--Help me, Jeebus, help me burn this image from my mind.

Oh, this helps. Nothin' like the real thing:



I realize I've said this about a million times, but man, those guys were great.

Anyway, that of course led to this:



Which led to this:



That was The Dukes Of Statosphear, a goofy side project from XTC. This could have led to more XTC videos--and one day, no doubt, it will--but instead I stayed in a sixties mode, remembering a time (well, not literally remembering; I wasn't actually there) when Pete Townshend didn't sell his songs to Jerry Bruckheimer productions, when Roger Daltrey didn't host infomercials, when John Entwistle and Keith Moon were alive:



Finally, The Kinks. If Ray Davies isn't the greatest songwriter of the rock era, he's awfully damned close, and "See My Friends"--God, what a gorgeous song: