Sunday, October 28, 2007

MY MOTHER'S MAIDEN NAME WAS HOOLIGAN

Look, I overslept this morning, and spent wy too much time watching video clips on YouTube. Does that mean I'm going to cheat and post those clips here? But of course!

(In most circumstances, I wouldn't bother posting at all. But it's still October--National Blog Writing Month, don'tcha know--and since I was challenged to post every day, by cracky ah aims tuh do it.)

Anyway, the clips. These are all from probably the greatest sketch comedy in the history of the known universe, SCTV. Let's start with Eugene Levy as Rockin' Mel Slurm, hapless host of "Mel's Rock Pile." Dave Thomas' Richard Harris makes me laugh out loud every time I see this--I can still annoy people with my impression of Thomas' impression to this day.




A great bit with Rick Moranis as Michael McDonald:



Finally, one of my all-time favorite sketches, from SCTV or anywhere else, an extended parody of Grapes Of Wrath featuring most of the show's original cast--Joe Flaherty, Catherine O'Hara, Andrea Martin, Thomas, Levy and Harold Ramis. (John Candy, strangely, isn't in this one.) The writing is sharp ("Better get the big frying pan") but what really sells it are the performers, some of the best comic actors of all time. Everybody is great here, but my favorites are O'Hara's insane takedown of Jane Darwell, Levy's preacher and especially Ramis' Muley, which makes me laugh for reasons I don't even fully understand. Great stuff.