Tuesday, October 02, 2007

WHEN I'VE GOT SOMETHING TO SAY, SIR, I'M GONNA SAY IT NOW

I asked a co-worker a procedural question. He responded by asking if I could think of a better way of doing certain things. "Well," I began, and continued, apparently for quite awhile. He paused a beat, then said, "When you started talking, I thought I heard something that makes sense. Then you kept ranting, and I forgot it."

I do go on, don't I?

More time is spent writing these little pieces than you might guess from reading them. I try to cut out as much fat as possible, and try to put some thought into it. Even my seeming place-holding posts, like collections of embedded video clips, are assembled with some care; I attempt to find things that go together thematically, or bounce off each other in interesting, hopefully enlightening ways.

All this is prompted by a "challenge" I received from my ex-wife: To put up a new post every day through the month of October. (It's National Blog Writing Month, folks. Get that shopping done early!) Well, heck, that's not much of a challenge. After all, I'm always here, even when I don't feel like it. That's why I'm constantly apologizing when I don't feel like writing. Though I don't exactly have a huge readership--once again, thanks to both of you!--I do feel an obligation to anyone who comes here to have something to read or enjoy.

If she'd put any restrictions on this challenge--no Beatles clips, no mention of Vincente Minnelli--this might be difficult. But I'll be here as always, pounding out the wordage, though perhaps sometimes annoyingly apologetic for my failures as a host, like the Beast in Cocteau's La Belle Et La Bete, but hoping to entertain or enlighten or whatever the hell it is I do around here. Hopefully, most of my sentences will be shorter than the preceding, but I can't promise anything.