Wednesday, February 20, 2008

THEM HOGS HAS GOTTA BE FED

Are all things connected somehow?

Today's New York Times carried an obituary for Morton J. Savada, who for many years owned and operated the store Records Revisited, which specialized in old 78s. I remember rumaging around there during one trip to New York, specifically trying to find a copy of Red Ingles' Get Up Offen The Floor for my mom. I found some Ingles stuff, but not that one specifically, and in any event, the paper sleeves made the records too fragile to pack in my suitcase.

Amazingly, I found a recording of that very piece on YouTube.



The female vocalist featured on the song and the accompanying slideshow is Jo Stafford, who had a hit with the song Ragtime Cowboy Joe...which happened to be the only song Mom knew how to play on ukulele.

Red Ingle died in 1965, as did his old cohort and collaborator Spike Jones. I was born in 1965.

Are all these connections coincidental? Yeah, probably.