Thursday, May 22, 2008

YOU USED TO SEND HER YOUR PROMISES, BOY

Sometimes I don't write because I don't have the time. Today I can't write because I don't have the inclination. Thoughts hammer my brain, but the ability to express them eludes me, words floating in the aether, just out of my grasp.

I'm kind of down. Bang bang bang, just like that, Katie and I came to the end of the line a week ago--on my birthday, making the pain so much sweeter--and this is the first day I've had to sort of live with the outcome, to face the gaping maw that is the rest of my life. Never knew if the two of us would be permanent, but I certainly didn't see the end coming so soon. Now there's just today and tomorrow and the next, and whatever comes after that. Sometimes life is so overwhelming that it forces me to use terms like "gaping maw".

Wow. Weird. Sentences appear at random on my computer screen, without any thought behind them. I'm rambling, is what I'm trying to say. And really, who wants to traipse through my tortured psyche when they could do something else? Like listening to this--Holly Cole's amazing cover of a Tom Waits classic: