Monday, August 18, 2008

YES, MY VEST-WEARING FRIEND, MAYBE YOU'RE RIGHT: PEPPERS ARE AN INTERESTING BREED. NOW WILL YOU PLEASE STOP SINGING?

This is how my mind works: I can remember sitting around with my brother watching New Year's Rockin' Eve just to make fun of it. I remember this commercial coming on, seeing the cameo from Popeye, and thinking how sad it was that a cartoon character could degrade himself this way.

But I can't remember the year! Was it the year John Schneider served as our evening's genial host, or the year the Kids Are People, Too guy did the honors? Was this the same year Debbie Harry blew the lip synch during Blondie's number? Did this originally air in '79, at the height of the Iranian hostage crisis, or was it a year later, with Popeye's cameo meant to tie in with the then-current Robin Williams movie?

Man, you'd think I'd be able to conjure that one right up, what with my mind being cluttered with the most useless bits of ephemera imaginable. On the other hand, it's nice to know there are some bits of trivia so inconsequential, even I can't remember them.

If only I could forget this jingle! But I can't, and you won't either, as you enjoy (hah!) the singin' and dancin' charms of David Naughton as he goes on and on and on for a full minute, thirty seconds more than any commercial should ever last, ever. As is always the case when I post something like this, please accept my apologies.