Saturday, August 23, 2008

YOU THINK YOU'VE HEARD THIS ONE BEFORE

Back in the days when this site tended to post more angry leftist screeds, I'm sure I would have had something to say about Barack Obama's pick of consummate Washington insider Joe Biden to be his running mate. I probably would have made some comment about how Obama's promise of change rings hollow when he deliberately yolks himself to a business-as-usual political pro, and I'd have figured out some way to take potshots at John McCain while I was at it.

Ah, for the good old days. Lately, since I've found myself living in my own head so much, most of the latest political brouhahas pass by here unnoticed, and not much missed. Let's face it, this country is pretty much royally screwed, and though obviously I prefer Obama to McCain, no substantial change will be forthcoming either way. The slow dismantling of the Constitution under the Bushinistas has irrevocably altered the very foundation of the United States, and neither Obama nor McCain show any true awareness of just how far we've gone wrong. Surely the only rational response to such madness is indifference.

Anyway, yeah, that's the type of sleen-venting that used to go on all the time around here. Now I spend more time whining about personal problems, decrying the state of popular culture and posting music clips. Like, uh, this one.

I wanted to showcase Steely Dan's The Royal Scam, which would have displayed at least a passing thematic reference to the above, but I couldn't find a good clip. But here's a great live version of one of my favorites (though honestly, when it comes to The Dan, I could pretty much read off the track listings for any given album and claim at least half of them as favorites), Home At Last. A classic, to be sure, but in this performance, largely a showcase for Walter Becker's unbelievably fluid, utterly gorgeous guitar work. Oh, and when did Donald Fagen turn into Martin Landau?