Tuesday, August 26, 2008

WORTH A TRY

Last week, I mentioned in passing how I'd seen the Mickey Rooney/Buddy Hackett vehicle Everything's Ducky, but had never seen Jean-Luc Godard's Band Of Outsiders. That particular title was chosen totally at random; there's plenty of Godard I've never viewed--hell, I haven't seen Contempt, for crying out loud.

Anyway, so I was at the local Yuppie Mall the other day killing time before a movie, and happened into a music/DVD emporium, browsing through the used DVDs. As always, millions of public domain eyesores, lots of unloved recent releases--and a copy of Band Of Outsiders. A quality copy, mind you, the Criterion release from a couple years back. For five bucks! Holy catfish!

Weird, huh? It's almost as if--I don't know--something I mentioned wishing to experience suddenly became available to me. Will it happen again? Can lightning strike twice? Dunno, but I would simply point out I've also never dated Thora Birch.

I'll let you know how it works out.