Friday, June 13, 2008

I RESIGN AS CLOWN

Another day, another hastily assembled clip job. There's a reason for this, actually. If you look at the time I posted this, you'll notice it's later than usual. In other words, I'm getting more sleep, instead of waking up early to write. While this is certainly healthier for me, it also gives me less time to figure out a topic, assemble thoughts and tap out words. Or maybe I'm just burned out. (Or would that be "burnt out"?)

Anyway, clips. Here's one of my favorites, XTC, in rehearsal with one of my favorite songs, Dear Madam Barnum. Even when he blows a line or strains for a note he can't hit, Andy Partridge is one of the coolest guys alive.



A song from Shock Treatment, Richard O'Brien's unfairly maligned follow-up to Rocky Horror, featuring nice vocal turns from journeyman actor Cliff DeYoung (who's great in this) and the always wonderful Jessica Harper. I find myself singing this one a lot.



Finally, a great scene from one of the best movies of recent years, Ghost World. I'm including this partly because of how unbelievably hot Thora Birch is here (and seriously, in my world, I am Mr. Thora Birch), but mostly because Steve Buscemi's cranky, whiny, deeply pessimistic--but endearing and funny, dammit!--character is...um...Let me put it this way: This is pretty much like a car ride with me.