Thursday, June 19, 2008

WASN'T THAT A GOOD IDEA?

The phone rang Tuesday night. The caller ID showed Tabbatha's name, but I knew who'd be on the other end of the line. "Are you working this weekend?" Paul asked.

Yes, I said.

"Um, so that means you have--what day? Thursday? You have Thursday off, right?"

Yeah. And...?

"I had an idea. I thought maybe--You know I always go to day camp, right?"

Yeah. I just picked you up from there last week.

"Okay, so I thought instead of going there Thursday, my mom could drop me off at your place, and we could eat and do stuff, and that way we could spend the whole day together. Wasn't that a good idea?"

Sure, but what kind of stuff would we do?

"Well, we'd have breakfast. At Donutland. Of course. And go to a movie..."

A movie, huh? Kung Fu Panda, maybe?

"You knew! Yeah, we'd go to that, and we could have lunch and...Well, we'd have the whole day, so we could have all three meals together..."

Yeah, uh, maybe just two...Breakfast and maybe eat after the movie...

"And we'd be going to Old Country Buffet, right? Because we really should go there. And then maybe we can go to Barnes & Noble, and then we can--"

Well, we'll take it one thing at a time. We'll go to Donutland--

"Oh yeah!"

--and then see what we feel like doing next.

"But we're definitely going to Kung Fu Panda, right?"

Sure...