Sunday, February 08, 2009

ALL THAT HEAVEN ALLOWS

Paul and I went to a birthday party yesterday, after which we came back to my place and hung out until he decided it was time to go to bed. As per tradition, he got the bed while I slept on the floor, cats guarding either side of me.

This morning I woke up before him and flipped channels absent-mindedly. He stumbled out of bed just as The Road Warrior happened to be coming on. I asked him if he wanted to go to Krispy Kreme--his usual breakfast place of choice--and he said, "No. You still have cookies, right? Why don't we have those for breakfast and watch this? It looks pretty good."

So we did--the R-rated movie played uncut on a premium channel, so I just made him look away during the one inappropriate scene--then we hung around some more before heading off to Barnes & Noble, which happened to have the latest issue of Shock Cinema in stock. I told Paul he could get something as long as he kept it in the five dollar range, so he found a book about Boba Fett(!) and it was time to drop him off at his Mom's. After that, I relaxed at the neighborhood Chinese restaurant with the Sunday New York Times, and just got home in time for a quick nap.

Maybe I'm getting old, but much in that description--chocolate chip cookies, a Mad Max picture, bantering with a quick-witted (and proudly weird) nine year old, Chinese food, reading a newspaper and taking a nap--suggests a nearly perfect day. And so it was.