Tuesday, February 10, 2009

DAMN KIDS WITH YOUR JITTERBUGS AND SWING MUSIC AND WHATNOT

At some point while finding clips from yesterday's post--The Who and The Jam, for those of you who missed it--I realized I should probably include something somewhat more contemporary in the mix, just to prove that I do indeed listen to music recorded in this century. I hastily attempted to find a clip of the New Ponographers song Sing Me Spanish Techno, but the official music video is one of those self-consciously oblique affairs that actually detracts from the music, and the live clips I found were substandard, and well, you may have been left with the impression that I'm some cranky old guy who doesn't give a damn what the kids are listening to these days.

(And just to clarify, The Jam's In The City may have been released in '77, but do you think I was actually listening to anything like that back then? I was a farm kid in the middle of nowhere, and the local pop stations offered either The Bee Gees and Shaun Cassidy or Styx and REO Speedwagon. Me, I was too busy listening to the Star Wars soundtrack for the millionth time to be aware of any other kind of music. Fact is, my musical tastes have always existed somewhere out of time.)

Anyway, though I pay very little attention to whatever's popular at any given moment (though this might be a good time to sheepishly admit that I kinda like Britney Spears' Womanizer), I find my musical tastes are fairly wide-ranging. I like what I like, regardless of its age, popularity, coolness factor, whatever. In that spirit, here's TV On The Radio with Dancing Choose--



--and Bernard Herrmann's Concerto Macabre, written for the film Hangover Square.