Saturday, February 14, 2009

I CAN MAKE LOVE DISAPPEAR

Valentine's Day, and you really don't want me whining about my non-existent love life, do you? Of course not. But the only way to avoid such a topic on a day like this is the clever use of my favorite fall-back option: A clip job!

In the spirit of the day, here are two of my all-time favorite love songs. First up, a Rodgers & Hart classic, and who better to sing it than Frank Sinatra? A perfect song, a gorgeous Nelson Riddle arrangement and, man, that voice.



This next song I've posted before, but in a different performance. This is Richard Thompson with a stark, elemental rendition of his classic expression of desperate longing, Dimming Of The Day. This is much more than a simple love song, but hey, who said love was simple?



Not to be cynical but--the hell with love. It's just an illusion anyway, a cheap parlor trick, and not always a very good one. The late, much-missed Warren Zevon offers an explanation.



And when it's all over, as Cab Calloway can tell you, there's nothing to do but sing Blues In The Night.