Wednesday, February 18, 2009

THE MOST ADORABLY SWEET TRANSVESTITE OF ALL

Okay, so the other day Tabbatha posted a meme on her Facebook page listing 113 apparently randomly-chosen movies, with the premise being that the person posting it would check off the ones on the list he or she has seen. Which is how I came to discover that Tabbatha, who is, after all, the woman I once wanted to marry, had never seen The Rocky Horror Picture Show.

Which just kind of floored me, because I just sort of assume anyone in my immediate orbit has seen Rocky Horror. (She'd also never seen Airplane, and when I expressed my disbelief, she admitted she'd never even heard of it. I wanted to say, "Surely you're not serious," hoping she would inevitably respond, "I am serious. And don't call me Shirley.") I'm not one of those people who dresses up and goes to the midnight shows, but then again, this movie is basically in the mainstream now, sort of a Wizard Of Oz for a new generation, something I can freely quote from with the belief everyone will get it.

The point is, this got me to thinking about my deep love for Rocky Horror, which as a movie is crushingly underrated even by some of its most ardent cultists. So I planned to write a piece exploring my admiration, not only of the film (which I think is clearly one of the best stage-to-screen adaptations of all time), but also of Richard O'Brien's amazing score, which has also never really gotten its critical due.

Sadly, YouTube, my go-to option for all things clip related, currently had no clips available I intended to use to make my points, so the whole thing fell apart. I did, however, find a clip somebody had cobbled together of Littlefoot, the plucky dinosaur protagonist of the terminally upbeat Land Before Time series, apparently singing Rocky Horror's signature tune, Sweet Transvestite. The lip synch isn't really very good, and the joke wears off after half a minute or so, but hearing it in this weirdly wholesome context only makes the playfully Goth sensibility of O'Brien's hilarious lyrics stand out in sharper relief. Something about Littlefoot inviting us up to the lab to see what's on the slab just makes me happy.