Sunday, April 20, 2008

RELAX, ENJOY YOURSELF

Paul had a ball game Saturday morning. I picked him up there, and we hung out the rest of the day and night. He'll be here today until a little after noon.

Bit of a controversy there, as Katie, who used to be cool with me hanging with Paul, now thinks I may only be doing stuff with him as part of a ridiculously convoluted scheme to get back with his mom. Not true--in fact, I spent time with Tabbatha and New Boyfriend during the game, and hey, I only winced slightly when she called him honey. Fact is, Paul and I just seem to have similar mindsets--yeah, I know, what does it mean that my mindset is similar to an eight-year-old's?--and can have a ton of fun doing a whole lot of nothing.

We have long, circuitous conversations involving arcane points of Star Wars trivia. We dream up powers we'd have as superheroes. (Paul: "I'd have every power in the galaxy." Me: "I'd have the power to not creep out women.") We stage our own martial-arts battles (which usually wind up involving light sabers, which I think is in violation of centuries of Shaolin tradition). We watch Indiana Jones movies, then act them out afterwards. (Again, Indy always seems to wind up with a light saber.) We discuss what we'd do with the money we'll make once we market our great invention: chocolate dental floss. We have deadpan conversations (Me: "Can you do me a favor?" Paul: "What?" Me: "Could you wipe the crumbs off the table?" Paul: "That's not much of a favor." Me: "Oh, and I also want you to kill a guy." Paul: "Who?" Me: "You'll receive a photo in the mail." Paul: "Can I use my light saber?" Me: "Your call." Paul: "Who called?") that seemed to amuse people at neighboring tables at Old Country Buffet.

We have fun.

Right now he's watching TV, and we'll probably go outside soon. No doubt a light saber battle is at hand.