Thursday, April 03, 2008

WHAT, YOU MEAN I HAVE TO ACTUALLY WRITE SOMETHING?

You know what? Suck it, YouTube. "Performing site maintenance"? How can you do this to me? Dammit, I want to embed something now. My readers haven't been forced to sit through enough Richard Thompson performance clips!

Actually, I intended to post some clips from the works of the great animation director Ralph Bakshi, in honor of Unfiltered, a new book on his career. There will be much more to say about Bakshi's work and its importance in my life later, when I've examined the book and, more importantly, when YouTube is back at 100%.

For now, let me point out that my copy of Unfiltered is on the way, the first thing I've ever ordered from Amazon.com. I've been extremely reluctant to order anything online, for fear that once I've opened the floodgates, the damage can't be undone.

When I ordered Unfiltered at the prepublication price, Amazon very helpfully let me know I could bundle my order with a new book on animation designer Maurice Noble and receive both books for less than either would cost after publication. Also, if I enjoyed these items, I'd surely like a newly-compiled collection of Chuck Jones artwork, and hey, why not pre-order Some Came Running while you're at it? Wait...I've never ordered from Amazon before. Why are they recommending Vincente Minnelli movies to me? How do they know me so well?

I'm weak, and I was tempted, and yes, I'll probably get around to pre-ordering Some Came Running. But not just yet. For now, I'm still able to resist the siren call of Amazon, though I hear its sweet, faint tone even now.