Friday, April 18, 2008

I FEAR THE MONKEY IN YOUR SOUL

Anyone who has ever had a break-up with someone else should quake in fear, at least according to a story in today's New York Times. Your ex could be spilling embarrassing details on a blog at this very minute. From the tone of this piece, you'd think every writer in Blogland (I will NOT use the term "blogosphere") spent most of their time settling old scores with former flames.

(Of course, everyone knows blogs are really showcases for spleen-venting political commentary and random Star Wars references. Also, places to cry publicly when the Yankees lose to the Red Sox again.)

Funny, but it's never occurred to me to use this space to trash my ex. For one thing, she encouraged me to start writing this thing, and is a familiar presence here through her comments. And her blog is included in my list o' links, as mine is on hers. We're still friends, in other words, but even if we weren't, it probably wouldn't occur to either of us to waste time trashing the other. We've each spent some time in our respective forums detailing some of the unwindings of the marriage, but not because we're attempting to settle scores. We were together, now we're not; this is part of our lives, the lives we chronicle in writing.

Still, because The Times suggests this is the type of thing the blog-besotted public demands--and God knows, The Times is never wrong--I'd better get to it. A scabrous detail about my ex: She actually owned a Kenny G album.

Yet knowing this, I still married her. Shocking!