Monday, April 28, 2008

JUST ONE OF THOSE DAY, I GUESS

This was--well, okay, still is--one of those "Sorry, can't think of anything to write, enjoy some stuff I found on YouTube" posts...but with a twist: The clips I'd love to show you can't be embedded.

I started out looking for some Julie London songs, and found an amazing live bit I'd never seen before...but Embedding Disabled By Request. So I did a search to see if there were any clips of London performing Cry Me A River besides the familiar excerpt from The Girl Can't Help It which I'm pretty sure I've posted before. No luck, but there was a video of Lulu performing the song, accompanied by Jeff Beck, which led to an incredibly camptastic duet between Lulu and Shirley Bassey (!) on You're The One That I Want (!!), which was so astonishingly cheesy, I just had to share it with you...but Embedding Disabled By Request.

Somehow, all this led to clips of Lena Zavaroni, which I could post for you, but won't. If you've never heard of her, trust me, I'm doing you a favor, and if you have heard of her, that painful sensation in your chest is your soul crushed by a sudden memory of Ma, He's Makin' Eyes At Me. I'm so sorry.

Well, that was a long way to go, wasn't it? Anyway, here's London's husband, the late, great Bobby Troup, performing a little classic he wrote:



This could, of course, lead me to going on and on about London and Troup on Jack Webb's beloved old Emergency! series, and how it relates to my memory of Elvis' death, which could lead to a whole other series of clips...