Saturday, April 19, 2008

NEVER MEANT TO LINGER HERE SO LONG

Granted, yes, I do post a lot of Richard Thompson clips around here. What can I say? Here's another one.

Thompson's most recent album, Sweet Warrior, didn't do a whole lot for me on my initial listening, and nothing on it inspired me to return immediately. Yet when I saw him in concert a month or so ago, Thompson performed this song from the album, and I realized tears blurred my vision. They might have been caused by the sheer beauty of Thompson's guitar work. More likely, the full meaning of the lyrics suddenly became clear.

Every day I'll wear your memory
Like a favorite shirt upon my back
In the hallway, there's my suitcase
By the door, I never did unpack

No sir, that doesn't hit way too close to home. (Tries to laugh, sighs instead. Slight pause, followed by uncontrolled weeping.)