Monday, July 28, 2008

INTERLUDE

Much of Saturday and all of Sunday was spent in the company of Paul. He played computer games, explained some plot points from Superfudge, and had a water pistol fight with a kid he met at a park. (Eventually, the two of them teamed up and started chasing me.) I tried to convince him to eat carrot sticks instead of chocolate chip cookies, and he laughed at my hypocrisy. We ate frozen pizza and watched cartoons, undertook a massive battle against an unspecified imaginary enemy (probably Nazis but we couldn't agree on that) at a different park, drank untold gallons of soda, saw The Dark Knight in IMAX, and just generally tore through the weekend like it was nothing.

It was good, and even though I had very little downtime, it was also relaxing. For awhile it seemed odd to spend so much time with an ex-girlfriend's kid, but I no longer even think about that aspect of it. At least one woman has expressed the concern that I was only hanging out with him to try to get back together with his mom, and maybe I had vague notions to that effect at one point, but not now.

For now, he and I have too much fun for me to even trouble my mind with such thoughts.