Sunday, July 13, 2008

ALL YOU'D EVER WANT

Hey, it's the weekend. No post yesterday? Ah, well, it's the weekend. Lame clip job today? Again, the weekend.

But what a clip--Tom Jones, ladies and gents, with one of the dumbest songs of the twentieth century, She's A Lady. The lyrics to this thing--seriously, what the hell? I'm not even talking about that "She always knows her place" bit, although I should, because again--seriously? And this "lady" is so damned awesome you "never would abuse her"? Wow, very progressive.

No, my favorite part here is "I can leave her on her own/ Knowing she's okay alone/ And there's no messing". So she has some sort of personality disorder? And perhaps only recently overcame incontinence issues? Or am I missing something?

Anyway, this is a live performance from '74, and while it lacks the wonderful over-enunciated quality of the single, Tom makes up for it with that way-cool pause when he sings "how to...please me," reminiscent of Tim Curry's immortal reading of the word "antici...pation" in Rocky Horror. In fact, between that and Tom's sexually-ambiguous gyrating here, I find myself wishing someone would have cast him as Frank-N-Furter. Or maybe that's something best not to think about.