Monday, July 21, 2008

WHY DO I KNOW THIS?

In its review of the new Broadway musical [title of show], The New York Times quotes this line of dialogue: when asked what he's doing, one character responds, "Working on a web site for a client and listening to Henry, Sweet Henry. What are you doing?"

If you get that reference, The Times suggests, you're the type of "drama queen" the show is aimed at. In other words, you're gay.

Well, I got it. Henry, Sweet Henry, the Broadway musical based on The World Of Henry Orient and one of Michael Bennett's first shows as choreographer--holy crap! Does this mean I'm gay? Hold on a second. Let me open a new window (Open A New Window--that's a song from Mame! And I really shouldn't know that!) and go looking for naked photos of Christina Ricci...

...well, I'm back--sorry, let me put away the lotion--and it certainly appears that my heterosexuality is intact. So why do I know all this trivia about Broadway musicals I've never seen?

Then again, why do I know who the cinematographer was for Ilsa, Harem Keeper Of The Oil Sheiks, or that the guy who directed Bill Osco's X-rated Alice In Wonderland also directed episodes of Death Valley Days? Why do I know who Bill Osco is?

There's only so much room in the old brain pan , and though I have a hard time remembering phone numbers or names, I know way more about the Mike Curb Congregation than anyone could possibly need to know. As Pia Zadora so eloquently put it in The Lonely Lady: Why? Why?

Isn't it time for some of this trivia to fall by the wayside (and man, isn't Artful Dodger's Wayside a great song and oh my God I'm doing it again!) so my brain cells can absorb new ideas and concepts? Or am I doomed to spend the rest of my life as a clearinghouse for unneeded information?