Sunday, July 27, 2008

SUNDAY MORNING MUSIC BREAK

It's a lazy weekend morning, so let's kick back with some tunes, shall we? Smithereens frontman Pat DiNizio has long been my facial hair role model, possibly because I identified with his receding hairline and large nose. I never wear sunglasses, though. Here's some live Smithereens from '87 with a personal favorite, Behind The Wall Of Sleep.



I first became aware of Kurt Weill when I happened to watch a "Live From The Met" broadcast of Mahagonny. This clip of Teresa Stratas singing Alabama Song comes from that very show, which pinned me against the wall and turned me into a tireless partisan for the greatness of Weill. He's probably my favorite composer, though of course that varies from day to day.



I think I might have posted this XTC classic before, but it's another favorite, so here it is.



Did I mention I'm a huge Harold Arlen fan? Here's Joe Pass and some obscure singer--Ella Something? Someone Fitzgerald?--with an absolutely perfect rendition of one of the greatest songs ever written.